Creating the skills of tomorrow... today

Contact Us
  • For International Individual Learner Enquiries:


    Telephone Number: +44 (0) 1283 494400 or +44 (0) 1283 494451

  • For East Asia based enquiries please contact our East Asia office:

    Sam Kyungmoon-son
    Regional Director, East Asia Region


    Tel: +82 (2) 508 1551

  • All other international enquiries to:

    John Beaty
    Vice Principal Corporate Relationships


  • Address:

    International Team
    Burton & South Derbyshire College
    Lichfield Street
    Burton on Trent
    DE14 3RL

Entry Requirements

International - international pic 9

For more details about how to apply and to download the correct visa application form, you should go to the UKBA website at UKBA

• The correct fee
• Valid passport or travel document
• Passport sized photographs
• CAS Number (or, if you are applying as a Learner Visitor, your visa letter)
• Evidence of funding for both tuition fees and living expenses for at least the first year of the course
• Original high school/university and English Language certificates – these should be the same documents that you submitted with your Burton and South Derbyshire College application and will be listed on your CAS Statement/visa letter.

All documents must be officially translated into English. If you need to attend an interview, always be honest with your answers and if you do not understand a question, ask for help.

• Know about the College and why you chose the course of study
• Know the location of the College and the College’s strengths
• Understand your study pathway and the opportunities after your college studies
• Show you are intending to return to your home country when you have completed your studies in the UK

All learners studying Level 3-5 NQF can work no more than 10 hours per week during term-time and fulltime during holidays.

You may also be required to supply additional documentation; the visa office will give you country specific details. If you do not supply every document required, your application is likely to be refused.

The Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) at the Embassy or High Commission will look at your application to decide if it meets their requirements. They may ask for further documents or even an interview at this stage. If you are successful, the ECO will put your visa or entry certificate in your passport. If you are unsuccessful, you will get a refusal notice and an appeal form.

Successful Application for a Learner Visa

If you are successful, you should photocopy your visa and begin making travel arrangements. You also need to let BCDC know as soon as possible. Keep a copy of the visa in your hand luggage for when your travel.

Unsuccessful Application for a Learner Visa

If you aren't successful, let the College know as soon as possible and keep your paperwork in a safe place.

English Language Courses

Under the new points-based system, if you are coming to the UK to study on an English Language course, you can only apply for a course that is a minimum of level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR); or any level if you are a government-sponsored learner.
This means you must have some previous knowledge of English Language before you come to the UK.

If you wish to study at any level as a privately-funded learner we advise you to apply for a learner visitor visa.

Return to International